Local Breastfeeding Classes
The following hospitals and private practice consultants offer breastfeeding classes or consultations. Please click on the names to see their websites for further information.
Women, Infants and Children Program
The Federal Food and Nutrition Service administers the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children. It is better known as the WIC Program and this program has four main components:
- Nutrition Education, both individual and group.
- Breastfeeding Education and Support, including Hospital-Grade Electric Breast Pump Loan Program and manual pumps are available. Also, Single User electric pumps are available for qualified working mothers.
- Supplemental foods such as milk, cheese, eggs, and cereals; extra supplemental foods for exclusively breastfeeding mothers.
- Referrals to health care and community services.
1-800-WIC FOR U (1-800-942-3678)
Hospital Based Lactation Services
Northeast Baptist Hospital 210-297-2069
St. Luke’s Baptist Hospital 210-297-5096
The Woman’s Place at Methodist Health Care System 210-575-0261
Baptist Medical Center 210-297-9189
SAMMC (military only) 210-916-0139
Resolute Health New Braunfels 830-500-6086
Private Practice Lactation Consultants
The Milc Group (Modern Initiatives in Lactation & Childbirth, LLC)
An advanced birth and breastfeeding private-practice resource in San Antonio.
- Lactation Consultations (in-home and in-office)
- Birth and Breastfeeding Classes
- Corporate Lactation Programs
“Loving, objective breastfeeding support.”
- Expert in-Home Lactation Consulting
- Prenatal Breastfeeding Classes & Consults
- Breastfeeding Support Groups for Milk Supply & Back-to-Work Breastfeeding
- On-site Infant Caregiver Breastfeeding Education
Laura María Gruber, IBCLC, RLC
- Providing HIPAA-compliant Online Consults, Education, and Home Visits in the San Antonio area
- “Helping Mothers Meet Their Breastfeeding Goals”
“Promote, Educate and Support”
Dee Sanchez, IBCLC 261-229-2740
Find a Lactation Consultant
If you need to find a Lactation Consultant visit the FALC Directory. This Directory is updated every two weeks.
• Private Practice lactation consultants may work in an office and/or make home visits.
• Hospital-based lactation consultants often run out-patient clinics or mother’s meeting for continued support.
SA Baby Café
The Baby Café is a place where breastfeeding mothers and pregnant women can come to learn, socialize, participate in a support group, receive free individual counseling for breastfeeding, or just to speak to a health professional about infant feeding in a non-clinical, café style environment.
We offer the following FREE services to all breastfeeding mothers in Bexar County:
- Group support
- International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC’s)
- Access to a Registered Dietitian
- A place to talk and share experiences
- Help with latching
- Help with increasing milk supply
- One-on-one assistance and counseling
- Lactation management
- Comfortable environment
- Literature and other resources
- Computer access for breastfeeding related information
La Leche League of San Antonio
All breastfeeding mothers and mothers-to-be interested in breastfeeding are welcome to come to meetings or call a Leader for breastfeeding help or information. Babies are always welcome at the meetings. For telephone help, please leave a message on the 24-hour Help line, 210-341-9669. A Leader will call you back within 24 hours.
La Leche League meetings follow a rotating series of four topics.
1. The Advantages of Breastfeeding to Mother and Baby.
2. Baby Arrives: The Family and the Breastfed Baby.
3. The Art of Breastfeeding and Avoiding Difficulties.
4. Nutrition and Weaning.
Visit La Leche League of Texas
Texas Lactation Support Hotline 800-514-6667 (M-Th 9am – 4pm, Fri 9am – 12 noon CST)
• La Leche League International 800-525-3243 (M-F 9am – 5pm CST)
• The Nationl Women’s Health Information Center Breastfeeding Help Line 800-994-9662 (M-F, 9am-6pm EST)
• The Baby Café 210-207-7138
• Christus Santa Rosa Hospital, New Braunfels 830-643-6190
• Christus Santa Rosa Hospital, San Antonio 210-704-2392
• Christus Santa Rosa Hospital, Westover Hills 210-703-9223
• North Central Baptist Hospital 210-297-4086 (M-F 9am – 4pm)
• Northeast Baptist Hospital 210-297-2069
• The Woman’s Place at Methodist Health Care System 210-575-0261
• Baptist Medical Center 210-297-9189
• St. Luke’s Baptist Hospital 210-297-5096
• Wilford Hall 210-292-6452
• University Hospital 210-358-3897
Alternative Practioner Resources
• Lisa Schlegel, Tx.Lic.Ac of Acupuncture & Natural Healing Therapies
23535 IH-10 West, Suite 2205, San Antonio, TX 78257
• Dr. Yuan Chao Liu
6502 Bandera Road Suite 108, San Antonio, TX 78238
• Advanced Care Back & Body
Dr. Quincy Shirley, D.C.
6111 Tezel Rd #101, San Antonio, TX 78250
• Family First Chiropractic & Wellness
Dr. Kip Mayo, D.C.
264 W. Mill Street, New Braunfels, TX 78130
• Romero Family Chiropractic
12915 Jones Maltsberger Rd. Ste 603, San Antonio, TX 78247
Phone: 210- 531-6100
<p• San Antonio Family Alternative Medicine
Dr. J. Sweeney, DC & Dr. L. Sweeney, DC
1931 NW Military Hwy, Suite 204, San Antonio, TX 78213
• Pura Vida Chiropractic
Dr. Dan Foss
2318 NW Military Hwy, Suite 103, San Antonio, TX 78231
• Dr. Alexandra Sweeney
• Omni Star Farm
333 FM474, Boerne, TX 78006
• BodyTalk Practitioner
Sue Roddy Stewart, LMT
Certified BodyTalk Practitioner
What is a Doula?
The word “doula” comes from the ancient Greek meaning “a woman who serves” and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.
More information on Doulas here.
• Anne Croudace, CPD, CLD, CPDT, CLDT, CBE, CLE, CNPE
MaternityWise International Doula Trainer
Tranquil Seasons Doula Agency
• Beth Sims, CD(DONA)
• BirthBlessings Doula Services of San Antonio Certified Birth and Postpartum Doulas
Private In-Home Childbirth Education Classes
Basic Breastfeeding Support
• Blooming Water Lilies
Birthing & Postpartum Doula Care, Childbirth & Newborn Education, Overnight Baby Care, Basic Breastfeeding Support, ASL/ESL Doula Care Services for the Deaf & Hard of Hearing.
• Bluebonnet Doula & Nanny Service
• Caring San Antonio Doula
• Central Texas Doula Association- San Antonio Chapter
Community of Doulas providing Resources, Connection & Services to Central Texas.
• Doula San Antonio
Brenda Minica, CD (CBI)
• Loving Beginning
Ginni Dingeldein & Monica Barrientes
Offering placenta encapsulation, birth & postpartum doula services & basic breastfeeding assistance.
• MamiDoula Yvette Hernandez CD(DONA)
LCCE Group, private, Spanish classes
• Maternity Period
Labor & Postpartum Doula
• Nikki Shaheed
• San Antonio Birth Doulas
Non-profit Doula Organization
Free Doula service for teens or women on Medicaid.
• Xelina Flores-Chasnoff
Find More Doulas @:
San Antonio Chapter- Central Texas Doula Association
San Antonio Area Tongue Tie Assessment Resources
• Juan Bonilla, MD
Pediatric Ear, Nose and Throat Institute
San Antonio, TX 78248
• John Edwards, MD
8715 Village Drive, Suite 218
San Antonio, TX 78217
• Marc Franklin, MD
The ENT Center
948 Gruene Rd.
New Braunfels, TX 78130
• Dana King, DDS
7870 Broadway, Suite B 102
San Antonio, TX 78209
• Timothy McEvoy, MD
8300 Floyd Curl
San Antonio, TX 78229
• Robert Offutt, DDS
Leticia Jeffords, DDS
Pediatric Dentistry, Laser technique
14603 Huebner, Suite 701
San Antonio, TX 78230
Children’s Hospital of San Antonio
333 Santa Rosa
San Antonio, Texas 78207